BSI Luxembourg ASBL
Château de Wiltz
The first five seminars of the Executive DBA each take place over the course of three days (roughly one weekend every two months).
Seminar 1: Managing the Executive DBA Thesis
This introductory seminar equips students with the tools and approaches that will allow them to effectively undertake the personal process of writing their Executive DBA thesis. The topics covered include:
- Choosing a thesis topic
- Formatting your thesis
- Managing your thesis
- Developing research questions
- Locating research information
- Data collection and processing methods
- Organizing and writing your thesis
- Succeeding with Your Master's Dissertation : A step-by-step handbook, Biggam, John, McGraw-Hill, 2008.
- Writing the Doctoral Dissertation: A Systematic Approach, Gordon B. Davis, Clyde A. Parker, Detmar W. Straub, Barron's, 2012
- The Unwritten Rules of PhD Research, Rugg, Gordon,Petre, Marian, McGraw-Hill, 2004.
Seminars 2 and 3: Thematic paradigms I and II
Seminars 2 and 3, the thematic paradigm, aim to provide managers with an overview of the current research questions coming from the various fields of management (strategy, marketing, finance, information systems, human resources, etc.).
Each professor that oversees the seminars (1 day or 1.5 days) will provide managers with their own personal knowledge of the research field in which they work, the field's current thematics, as well as their concrete experience related to research methodology and research execution.
Through these two seminars (occurring twice for a period of three days), students of the Executive DBA program will:
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the research problematics regarding the management of companies and organizations
- Grasp the different domains of research, their varying methodologies, and the possible approaches that one can mobilize
- Identify (in function with their own experience of their company's interest) a personalized research path that will constitute the heart of their Executive DBA thesis
- Sciences du management - Epistémique, Pragmatique et Ethique, Alain-Charles MARTINET, Vuibert.
- Méthodes de recherche en comptabilité pour thèses et mémoires, Degos, Jean-Guy, e-theque.
- Les grands auteurs en stratégie, Loilier, Thomas,Tellier, Albéric, EMS Editions.
- Marketing Research : Méthodes de recherche et d'études en marketing, Jolibert, Alain,Jourdan, Philippe, Ed. Dunod.
- Une façon différente de faire de la recherche en vente et marketing : Petit guide pour les chercheurs humbles, Mesly, Olivier, Presses de l'Université du Québec.
- Essentials of Marketing Research, Kumar, V.,Aaker, David A.,Day, George S., Ed. John Wiley & Sons.
- Research in Consumer Behavior, Belk, Russell W., Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Handbook of Management Accounting Research, Chapman, Christopher S.,Hopwood, Anthony G.,Shields, Michael D., Elsevier Science & Technology Books.
- Marketing Research for Managers, Crouch, Sunny, Housden, Matthew, Ed. Taylor & Francis.
- Research in Finance, Kensinger, John F., Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Entrepreneurship Research : Past Perspectives and Future Prospects, Lundström, Anders,Halvarsson, Sune, now Publishers.
- Faire de la recherche en systèmes d'information, Frantz ROWE, Ed. Vuibert.
Seminar 4: Qualitative methodology
This seminar allows doctoral students involved in businesses and organizations to master the qualitative methodologies necessary for the collection and analysis of managerial information. In this seminar, the following subjects are addressed:
- Interviews with/within businesses
- Analysis of managerial discourse
- Clinical analysis
- Content analysis
- Case study, action research, etc.
- Psychological theories
- Critical theories
- Research Methodology in Strategy and Management Vol 5, Bergh, Donald D. Ketchen Jr, David J.; Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 2009.
- Case Study Methodology in Business Research, Dul, Jan,Hak, Tony, Taylor & Francis, 2008.
- Research in Organizations : Foundations and Methods of Inquiry, Swanson, Richard A. Holton III, Elwood F. Berrett-Koehler, 2005.
Seminar 5: Quantitative methodology
This seminar is designed to familiarize students with the statistical techniques that are useful in analyzing data and in carrying out their thesis project, if they choose to use digital data. This seminar's focus is not on mathematical proofs, but rather on the utilization of tools within the context of research protocols. Through the use of examples, notable topics (which employ a number of illustrative examples) include:
- Analyses of variance
- Structural equations
- Quantitative Methods for Business and Management 2nd edition, Dewhurst, Frank, McGraw-Hill, 2006.
- Quantitative Data Analysis Using SPSS : An Introduction for Health & Social Science, Greasley, Pete, McGraw-Hill, 2008.
Seminar 6: Directing and Writing the Executive DBA Thesis
This seminar compliments the monthly direction provided by a professor, and permits students to review:
- Research progress
- The literature being researched
- Data collection and processing
- Thesis organization
- The problems encountered by each student